A product of Tampa’s public schools, Jackie graduated from Gaither High School and was awarded an academic engineering scholarship to the University of South Florida from the Latino Scholarship program. In 2000, she received her degree in Civil Engineering from USF and wanted to stay in Tampa so she could help give back to our community that has given her so much. In 2011, she became the first scholarship recipient to establish a scholarship at USF to help and mentor a Latino student.
After graduating, Jackie became a Licensed Professional Engineer and worked on several transportation plans in the Tampa Bay area, including master plans for the University of South Florida and Hillsborough Community College, as well as Hillsborough County’s Long Range Transportation Plan, the Florida Aviation Systems, and the 2012 Olympic bid process. Recognized professionally as a Professional Traffic Operations Engineer (PTOE) and the recipient of the 2002 Florida State Institute of Transportation Engineer of the Year, she has made great strides in her field and has a unique perspective on solving Tampa’s infrastructure and transportation challenges. Today, she works at NUE Urban Concepts.
Jackie has worked tirelessly for the people of Hillsborough County, advocating for common sense solutions for our community. She has served as the Deputy Majority Whip, Co-Chair of the Women’s Caucus, the State Director of the National Foundation for Women Legislators and on numerous legislative committees.
Jackie continues to stay active in the Tampa community through her church and local nonprofit organizations. Though she takes great pride in her professional successes and community involvement, her biggest joy is raising her five children.
Jackie has been awarded:
· American Conservative Union Foundation Conservative Excellence Award, 2017
· Legislative Champion Award from Northside Mental Health Center, 2018
· Florida Bicycle Association’s Elected Official Champion of the Year, 2018
· Florida Sheriffs Association Friend of the Sheriff Award, 2018
· Florida Independent Concrete & Associated Products Legislator of the Year 2018
· PACE Center for Girls Believing in Girls Award 2018
· Florida Police Chief’s Association Legislator of the Year, 2019